New York City
I’ve been to New York City a few times before and it doesn’t take long until everything feels familiar & easy. Mum & Dad’s apartment is on the upper west side, and I spend most of my time hanging around that area. I’ve done all the touristy things before like Liberty Island, the Staten Island ferry, the Empire State Building, etc so I’m not interested in that stuff. I spend most of my time hanging out with my parents, catching up and laughing while doing nothing in particular.
- Going to a bar with all of Mum & Dad’s new friends in the city where Dad draws a picture on a placemat with the supplied crayons.
“Tierra Del Fuego or bust” he calls it
- Driving out to the little country town of Cold Spring on a beautiful sunny fall day. The leaves are seriously colorful here & we have a great day wandering around the quaint town.
- Eating almost all of Mum & Dad’s Vegemite, an Australian spread. It’s been so long since I ate it I was unsure I would still like it. Vegemite turned out to be more delicious than I remembered.
- Catching up with my good friend Bari who I haven’t seen for too long. Hanging out with a part time bar tender makes me a part time regular for a while…
- Cooking dinner together in their tiny kitchen most nights.
- Spending sunny afternoons in Central park walking, throwing a football & reading.
- Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge at night & playing with my camera. I’ve been trying to take some good night shots for a while now, and I’m really proud of how it turned out. Next time I find the perfect location for a photo of blurry headlights and taillights I’ll be good to go.
I find it really hard to say goodbye when time is up. I’m going to miss my Mum & Dad a lot in the coming months, but having their full support makes it way easier for me.
I know I have to see them more often than I have been lately.
Watching the new Pixar animated movie “Up” on the flight back is a great reminder of what living your dreams is all about. I think the Jeep is pretty similar to a house floating with 3 billion balloons, and heading to South America sounds like a pretty good idea to me