While hiking around a volcano in Ecuador I realized there are a ton of Overlanders out there in the community who are extremely supportive and helpful to others hoping set out on a grand adventure. Many of us try out best to post information on our blogs and discussion forums we think will be helpful to others.
Some people have even written books on the subject.
Unfortunately, this information quickly slides off front pages, and goes stale and out of date, making it very hard to find, and usually not very helpful.
WikiOverland is designed to “pick up where the traditional guide books leave off” for Overlanders.
Everything you need to know to successfully get around with a vehicle is included.
Some of the important topics covered for each country are:
- Crossing the border – paperwork requirements, insurance requirements, costs and permitted length of stay.
- Gas prices, quality and frequency. Prices are converted in real time to any currency and unit you prefer.
- Roads, Bribery and checkpoints.
- Camping – both paying and “wild”.
- Navigation – with paper maps and GPS co-ordinates.
- Vehicle maintenance.
- Buying and selling vehicles.
- much more.
More general topics covered include:
- Popular Overland routes.
- Vehicle shipping.
- Bribery tips and advice.
- General Paperwork requirements explained.
If travel information is readily available in guide books or on the web, that information is linked to as much as possible.
To start out exploring WikiOverland, checkout the Overland Frequently Asked Questions
This is a project made by the Overland community, for the Overland community.
If we all contribute a little bit, we’ll make the entire site better for everyone.
Because WikiOverland is built on the wiki platform, you can click edit in the top right of the screen, update or add whatever you like, and click save all in less than 2 minutes.
You can help make WikiOverland better for everyone:
- If you know a thing or two about the country you live in (like gas prices), please take the time to add or update that information.
- If you are passing through a country, please take 5 minutes and update sections that have changed. If nothing has changed, you can just update the “last updated date” for those sections so we know it’s still good as of now.
Head over and checkout WikiOverland.org