Coffe Table Photography book out now!
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
“What was your favorite place?” has become the daily question I can’t answer.
I don’t want to answer it.
The two years I spent on the road can not be summarized by a single place, or experience.
It just wouldn’t be right.
The more I think about it, the more I think of a handful of experiences that are defining – they made up the core of the adventure and are by far the most vivid memories I have.
I think about these experiences and smile, often bringing back the emotions I felt – excitement, elation and even fear.
The list below is in chronological order – there is no “Outright Favorite”.
- The Magic Bus – Hiking to The Magic Bus in Alaska was an experience hard to duplicate, and during the adventure my thoughts often wandered to Chris, his adventure and lasting legacy. Sometimes I think of him as a role model and even idol at times.
I will go back to the bus. Soon, I hope.
- Kayaking with icebergs – On the day I said “This is one of the best experiences of my life!”. Bizarre and beautiful, that statement is still true.
- Playing with lava – The thought of poking lava with a stick feels absurd, and sometimes I wonder if I was dreaming.
- Cotopaxi Volcano summit – The single most difficult undertaking of my life. Indescribable.
- Hiking in The Cordillera Huayhuash – Ten days of hiking alone in the high Andes. I’m going to search for the rest of my life for a hiking circuit to match it.
- The Uyuni Salt Flats and South – Even the most gorgeous mountains, lakes, forests and beaches have comparisons somewhere in the world. The Uyuni Salt Flats in Bolivia stand alone – freaky and jaw-dropping in beauty and isolation. The desert to the South was possibly the most extreme adventure of my life.
-DanThe Kalipak 401 is rated 4.4 out of 5 stars from 23 cusomter reviews on Amazon.